Do you hear what I hear….?
That’s the sound of Otley Cycle Club members blinging up their bikes for the annual Christmas ride on Sunday 1 December!
IMPORTANT CHANGE: The Victorian Fayre takes place on Sunday so all Social Series rides will leave from the carpark on the corner of North Parade and Cattle Market Street, and we’ll leave via Manor Street and Mill Lane.
The roads will be closed from 8am and the organisers have asked that all riders dismount and walk if they need to get through – this is because their event insurance doesn’t cover cyclists riding on the closed roads.
Here’s what you need to know about our merriest ride of the year:
- The rides will end at the Askwith Arms at 12pm
- Lunch will be served from 12.15pm (only for those who’ve pre-booked)
- You can still come on the ride even if you’re not coming to the meal, but you’ll have to make your own way back from the pub
- You can come to the lunch even if you’re not riding – so long as you’ve pre-booked
- The rides will leave at 9:15am as usual from Otley with three route choices – see notes below….
- If you’d rather drive to and start from the pub that’s fine – all routes will go past it and we’ll pick you up on route.
- Please bring lights with you if you’re cycling back to Otley as it’ll be getting dark when we leave the pub
- There’ll be a raffle at the pub – if you’d like to donate a prize and haven’t done so already Santa will be at the start of the ride or at the pub to collect them in his sack
- Fancy dress is optional but encouraged – you can see from the pictures below that people have been known to get into the Christmas spirit of things!
We hope you can join us on to start the festive season in style!
Gentle – Ilkey via the back road – 10.6 miles and we’ll definitely stop for coffee at La Stazione. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31517368
Stretching: Ilkley via Cow and Calf – 14.4 miles and we’ll stop for coffee at La Stazione assuming we’ve got time https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31524911
Strenuous – Bolton Abbey Tea Rooms (or Cav Pav) via the back roads – 20 miles – we’d recommend only the strongest riders go on this and you may not stop for coffee – depends if you think you can and still get back to the pub for 12pm….