Are you interested in volunteering to Guide or Backmark a Social Section Ride?
If so, read our Guide To Guiding for some more information and then just contact Mike – Ride Guide Volunteer Coordinator to add you to our list of volunteers and find out more about your ride preferences.
Ride Guiding or Backmarking is really rewarding and helps you get to know the area really well as you study the maps and learn the routes.
But it’s not as challenging as you may think:
- A lot of your group will have studied the route (and many download it to their garmins), or know the area well too so can help if you get a bit lost.
- All our new volunteers have reported back that they’ve had a fabulous experience and can’t wait to do it again
- We have a ‘mentoring’ scheme set up so you’d never be thrown in at the deep end on your own – we often try and pair people up for their first few rides until they’re comfortable doing it by themselves.
If you would like to lead a ride you do not have to do the scheduled ride, sometimes new volunteers start with a ride they know well, eg Bolton Abbey or Harewood and we can easily schedule this in for you. Or you can offer a new route that you know well and we do not currently use!
With the growing number of people turning up for our Social Series Rides we need to organise a growing number of rides every time so we need at least 12 volunteers for each of our organised rides. If we each help out once every 2 months our rides will be able to continue!
How else you could help
As well we Guiding/Backmarking, there are lots of other jobs you could volunteer for. Here’s who currently makes the section function so smoothly.
- Replying to emails from enquirers: Mike
- Volunteer Coordinator: Mike
- Ride Coordination Team Leader: Matt
- Ride Coordination: Christine, Mark (S), Ken, Matt, Clare, Mark (J), Steve
- Twitter and Facebook: Amy & Matt
- Managing the mailing list & emailing ride updates: Liz
- Ride Reports Editor: Graham
- Half-Day Social Ride Captain: Steve
- Club Run Captain: Brian
If you’re interested in helping out with any of these roles we’d love to hear from you email Steve (Section Captain)
We’re only as strong as our volunteer workforce so….
your club needs you!