The Social Series team made the difficult decision to cancel the rides for the 17th January. We had been watching the weather forecasts during the week and a number of us had also been out on the roads keeping an eye on the conditions.
By the Saturday evening is was clear that the earlier floods, and water coming off the fields, had led to pools of ice forming on the roads. The overnight forecast was for snow and sub-zero temperatures and this soon turned out to be correct.
We sent a mail out to everybody who has signed up for our mailing list and also put out messages on Twitter and Facebook to get the message out about the cancellation.
Many of us did get out, mostly walking, but there was also some fun to be had in the snow (with great care!) on mountain bikes. Calls of “we need to do this more often” were heard and we look forward to seeing some informal mountain bike rides being advertised by club members later in the year.
A few pictures that show the conditions follow. See if you can spot where we will be on the 31st!